Burden shared

I have realised that I am not in this alone as I often feel like I am......

So often I bear the responsibility of making sure my 2 year old doesn't eat or come in contact with the wrong food.
After all, I am the one who takes him for his skin prick tests, and various other medical appointments...... I am the one who monitors his every cough or scratch...... I am the one who has stayed up night after night with him - holding his hands to prevent him from scratching.....I am the one who takes him to hospital when he is anaphylactic..... I am the one who cares for him, cooks for him, worries about him......it is all upto me ....or so I thought

Recently, I was on the phone and computer..... I thought I would utilise the half hour while the kids were occupied with playschool. I explained that mummy was on the phone and it was important so please don't interupt me etc....

Five minutes later.... sure enough there's my 5 year old darling girl trying to talk to me.. I stopped my conversation and told her I needed to talk on the phone and go watch playschool......and gave her the "look".... which normally causes even my husband to scurry away to the shed....

She persisted, this time in a loud voice...." I'm sorry mummy but this is important" I asked what was so important and she told me that her brother was trying to eat something unsafe. I put down the phone and went to the kitchen... sure enough he had climbed up onto the kitchen bench and was trying to open a container of unsafe patty cakes ready for the following day's school open day...... patty cakes we had made with eggs, milk and wheat...... a definite trip to hospital had he managed to access one.

How relieved and grateful I was..... after taking him away from the danger and giving him an alternative.... I hugged my daughter for about 5 minutes... praising her for having the courage to interrupt me and persist ....what a judgement call for a small child to make.....

I am so proud of her and I realised at that moment that I'm not in this alone.....

Labels: