The First Jelly Bean!

Some exciting news from a parent of a food allergic child....my 3 year old ate his 1st jelly bean ever! ...and his 2nd, 3rd and 4th. 

Cohen has food allergies to so many foods. Total avoidance has been our mission. With so many allergies, sometimes our mission feels like a never ending, overwhelming task.

Sometimes..... there is an unexpected moment of hope and pure joy!

We had driven the 2 ½ hours to the allergist for Cohen’s latest skin prick test.
Good news! The results were better than the previous allergy test. The doctor seemed to think it was okay for us to start challenging Cohen on a few new foods.  

Can you imagine my boy's face, when the allergist asked if he wanted a jelly bean? A very enthusiastic "YES PLEASE! " followed. I'm sure most 3 year olds would have almost inhaled the lolly before the offer was recanted. Not my boy..... 

He thanked the allergist..... and then he sat there holding it..... He had been so allergic to so many things his whole life - he didn't know what to do with a jelly bean. He looked at it and just sat there.

I told him it was a lolly and it was okay for him to eat it..... and before I could repeat myself......it was gone. 

What followed next was one of those moments when I wished I had my camera........ the look of joy and excitement on his face was a look that I will cherish for a long time.

A jelly bean..... a simple treat that most children take for granted. For this 3 year old - a jelly bean was the beginning of a whole new world.....





Labels: