This recipe is a favourite in our house. It never lasts long and definately doesn't serve 8 as there are only 4 of us.(double helpings yum!)
Ingredients (Serves 8)
250g Pitted dates, chopped
1 tspn Bicarbonate soda
1 ½ cups Boiling water
125g Nuttelex, softened
1 cup Brown sugar
1 tspn Vanilla extract
2 tspns No Egg mixed with 4 Tblspns water (replacement for 2 eggs)
1 ¾ cups Gluten Free Self Raising Flour mix
1cup Brown sugar
300ml Coconut cream
½ tspn Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line the base of a 7cm deep, 22cm (base) cake pan.
- Place dates and bicarbonate soda into a bowl. Pour boiling water over dates. Leave to stand for 20 minutes.
- Beat Nuttelex, sugar and vanilla with an electric beater until pale and creamy. Add egg replacement, a little at a time – beating well after each addition.
- Using a large metal spoon, fold through date mixture and flour in batches until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Turn onto a plate.
- Make the sauce – Combine all sauce ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring until sauce comes to the boil. Reduce heat to med-low. Simmer for 2 minutes
- With the skewer, pierce the pudding all over. Pour ½ cup of warm sauce over the warm pudding. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve with remaining sauce.