Anxiety in children with food allergies

Just wanted to share this article and get your thoughts and feedback about kids being anxious as a result of their food allergy.
Anxiety in food allergic children: normal or excessive?

My son is only 4 and I haven't seen any signs of anxiety. There's no knowing what will happen in the future. All I can do now is raise him with all the knowledge and skills that I can. What goes in comes out. I talk things through calmly with him. I explain what's happening. He knows about consequence to action - if he eats the wrong thing he will get sick. I remind about hospital and needles and how awful he feels - not to scare him but so he knows the consequence. He remembers what the needle feels like, he remembers how awful he feels when he has the wrong food. He knows what will happen.

I remember as a child with asthma whenever I had an asthma attack, my mum would remain calm and reassuring. As a result, I wouldn't panic either. Even now, when things happen, I find my self talk is reassuring and calm. We as parents/carers of anaphylactic kids need to show restraint from panic and display calmness, logical thinking and reassurrance.

Even if you do panic when your child reacts, I encourage you to be like a duck - paddling like crazy under the water while being calm on top of the water. Fake it till you make it if you have to. Show a calm, reassuring face. If you have another child (or adult) who shows panic - send them away while you tend to your sick child. Be calm, reassuring and talk through any fears with your child. The opposite to fear is faith.

The best thing you can do as a parent is educate your child about their condition. Then pray and trust God to keep your child safe.

Labels: , ,