One of Austrlia's most loved dads Ron Delezio (Sophie's dad) had a close brush with death this week. While undergoing an MRI, he had a severe allergic reaction to an injected dye called Gadoteridol.
'Describing the experience as "extremely frightening and painful
", Mr Delezio said there was a point when he thought he wouldn't survive'.
The reaction was an extremely rare one ."They told me that one in 10,000 people who are injected with Gadoteridol has a bad reaction to it," Mr Delezio said. Acknowledging the quick thinking staff,
Mr Delezio was given 4 shots of adrenalin and survived the ordeal.
This surely was a great outcome, I'm sure I speak for many Australians in saying that the Delezio family has certainly been through enough and I am so grateful he is okay. My prayers and thoughts are with them.
While this was a rare reaction, allergic reactions to food especially in children is becoming more and more common. Unfortunately, Australia has the highest rate of food allergy in the world
. Almost everyone knows someone who has a food allergy these days.
Parents of a child with life threatening food allergies live every day with the fear and stress of knowing their child can die if exposed to the wrong food. Some super sensitive people can go into anaphylactic shock from the mere smell of an allergic food. I can tell you first hand how scary it is to see your child in anaphylactic shock. It is something you never want to experience again.
Stories such as the above, while it is fantastic that there was a positive outcome, it is a reminder of the seriousness of anaphylaxis. Care needs to be taken and concerns taken seriously. I am destined to raise awareness of anaphylaxis and food allergies. Please keep in mind the seriousness of food allergies. It is literally a life and death issue.
In my plight to raise awareness, I would really appreciate your support by voting for my blog. Votes can be made daily until November 16th. Please click on the link below - then click on vote. Thanyou!