I often get asked what I do to avoid my boy having allergic reactions. Avoiding allergic foods is crucial when it comes to keeping safe with food allergies. When you have a child with multiple food allergies, it is important to have strategies already in place to avoid any unnecessary reactions.
When you have strategies in place it's easier for everyone involved. There are many things I do on a daily basis to avoid him coming into contact with anything that is dangerous to him. Here are 10 strategies that we implement ...
1. PLAN AHEAD. People with food allergies (or their parents) need to be organised. Gone are the spur of the moment days. If you want to be spontaneous, you also need to be organised. Be prepared for the unexpected!
5. EDUCATE YOUR CHILD ABOUT THEIR ALLERGY! This is so important and the ultimate goal of an allergy parent. Never underestimate how much your child understands. Use every opportunity to educate and bring awareness to potential dangers that surround them. Use your words wisely so you don't instil fear. Keep your emotions and personal fears out of it and EDUCATE. Teach them how to keep themselves safe.
8. ALWAYS HAVE A SNACK WITH YOU. By always having something to snack on when you are away from home, you will be less inclined to be tempted to buy something that may not be safe.
9. DON'T SHARE! As parents we raise our kids to think about other people and to share with their siblings and other children. As a food allergy parent, we need to set boundaries to keep our children safe. Make it a strict rule NOT TO SHARE - food, water bottles, utensils, straws, cups or cutlery.
10. ALWAYS HAVE YOUR EPIPEN! (or Ana pen).. Make it a strict habit that at least one (preferably 2) epipen is ALWAYS with the allergic person. There are cases where anaphylaxis has occurred hours after ingestion of a food. Always be prepared and have your adrenaline with you.
No epipen= No eat!!
I hope these strategies have helped you. What other strategies can you recommend? What works in your home? I would love to have your feedback and comments. We are on this journey together and I certainly don't claim to have all the answers but together by sharing our journeys we can help each other.
If you are stressing about what to cook for Christmas - don't! I've already got you covered.
Easy Allergy Free Christmas
is a recipe eBook that I've put together.
ALL recipes are Gluten free
and TOP 8 FREE
! (No Peanuts, Tree nuts Wheat, Dairy, Eggs, Soy, Fish and Shellfish)
I'm getting some lovely feedback already. Here's what Mandy says...
THANK YOU!!!!! Your book is amazing. I’ve been so stressed about Christmas. I’m a single mum, my son is allergic to peanuts, almonds, soy, eggs, dairy and wheat and fish – so am finding it hard to feed him. So happy to find you and so grateful for your book – I can make EVERY recipe for him! I made your chocolate fudge and we LOVE it! Also love that I can buy the ingredients from my supermarket. Thanks so much! Mandy
Pop over to my website for more info. Click Here
Have a wonderful day. Take care of you and yours and remember the Epipen